I recently exchanged emails with my old high school football coach mike gims.
One thing I can say about him is for all the coaches I had in all the sports I played from elementary on up is coach gims was a good christian testimony as a coach. I am not saying that all the other coaches had terrible testimonies, but Coach Gims exemplified it. He also stressed how we needed to keep christ first and that football will not matter in a few years.
I had been surprised to learn he was no longer coaching high school(he had been coaching for over 15 years) he had moved on to coach college. I thought cool. I played for coach gims for 3 years when I was a freshmen he was an assistant and then sophomore and junior year were his first two years as a head coach. He was always trying to be innovative sometimes it worked like our run and gun offense which was not common in High School those days. Then sometimes it didn't like running the lonesome polecat a few too many times :). He made his mark with the run and gun and improved upon it and I am pretty sure that is how he was able to move up the coaching ranks.
In his email, He shared with me that he was having his entire team of college players read the book raising a modern day knight. That's coach, always stressing the importance of keeping christ first! here he is trying to help men be fathers, and they don't even have kids yet! Oddly coach has 2 or 3 girls and no boys. The book is for fathers on how to raise their sons to be Godly men. It's also where I got the title for this blog. Knowing I have two sons of my own he suggested i pick up a copy. Finally last week I went ahead and ordered mine. I have read the first 3 or 4 chapters and I like it so far. It's an easy read, if i have the time I should knock this book out in no time.
Thanks for the tip coach, you never quit coaching do ya? If you are still coaching in 18 years i have two boys you should look at :)

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds